lunes, 30 de mayo de 2011

Be Patient...control your emotions and read

When my daughter was born I felt love, like never before, for her, for my wife and for life in general... I also learned that I needed to pay attention to myself regarding patience... you will need patience but mostly understanding, of each other as a couple, I have never fought with my wife and I love that, but sometimes we disagree in simple things and I have learned never to let arguments lead to a fight, and trust me, when you are washing baby bottles at 3 a.m. your emotions can be all over the place. 
Remember this is a learning experience, you are new to everything that is going on... I noticed myself and other friends that recently had babies that we (as men and dads) expect women to know everything about babies, that is just selfish, I don´t know if it is a cultural thing or what but we tend to do it... read everything you can about taking care of your baby, remember that your partner probably knows as much as you do, don´t put all the responsability on her, be a partner, an equal...

My best recommendation for you new dads is be patient, be patient with your selves, your partner and your baby, you will get used to waking up every 3 hours or so at night... and most of all enjoy every single moment with your baby, it is just wonderful.

I remember the first night we brought our baby home, I was so thrilled and scared, the few moments I fell asleep I woke up immediately to see if she was ok, it was such a huge new experience, as you know it´s been 3 months, we are getting more sleep time and believe me you will get use to doing everything your baby needs in no time, from changing the diapers to preparing the formula with one eye open and half asleep and you´ll do great.
We had a great book, I remember that before my baby was born we spent time toguether  (my wife and I) just reading away everything we could about the birth, feeding and everything involved with getting a newborn home... it really helps a lot being informed and never stop reading, learning and most of all trusting yourself.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario